For many pet owners, trimming a pet’s nails—dog or cat—can seem like a daunting task. And, if you haven’t regularly trimmed your pet’s nails since he was young, chances are you’ll have a difficult time doing it effectively now. Keeping your pet’s nails trimmed is important for a number of reasons. Here, we will give you the reasons why it is important to trim both dogs and cats nails.
Why cat’s nails should be trimmed regularly
– Prevent pain. Keeping a cat’s nails trimmed will help prevent painful broken claws, which can occur if one of the sharp, long tips becomes caught in the carpet or on the edge of the sofa while he’s “sharpening” his claws around your house.
– Prevent damage. Speaking of sharpening claws, it’s no secret that cats like to do it, and, when they do, it’s often on furniture, rugs, curtains, or other household items we’d prefer not be destroyed. Keeping the nails trimmed will reduce the damage your cat does around the house.
– Receive love comfortably. Many cats need to knead, and if your cat is kneading you, the longer the nails, the more painful it’s going to be for you. By keeping the sharp tips trimmed, this bonding activity can be something you both enjoy.
Why dog’s nails should be trimmed regularly
– Prevent pain. Underneath the hard outer shell of a dog’s nail is the living quick, which is full of nerves and blood. Regular nail trimming will cause the quick to become shorter and recede from the end of the nail, making it less likely to be cut during nail trims, which can cause pain and discomfort for your dog.
– Prevent injury. If a dog’s nails are too long, they can hit the ground, which, over extended periods of time, can cause deformed feet and injure tendons, affecting the foot and leg structure.
– Prevent anxiety. Dogs with nails in need of trimming will not have adequate traction on slippery floor surfaces—like hardwood, tile, and linoleum—which can lead to anxiety and fear, especially in dogs already prone to nervous and fearful behaviors.
Need help keeping your pet’s nails trimmed? Call our office to schedule an appointment.